Should you take that promotion?
Maybe you should quit your job?
Or change industries altogether?
Most choices are simple: what to wear to work, what to eat for lunch, whether to go to sleep or watch your favorite show.
But then there are tough career decisions. Like whether or not to:
- Accept a promotion
- Assume more responsibility
- Relocate to a different state
- Get a degree
- Leave your job
- Pursue a role aligned with your passions…or practicality
Career decisions like these can be paralyzing for us Sensitive Strivers.
It’s a little like the fable of Buridan’s donkey.
In the story, the donkey is standing halfway between a pile of hay and a bucket of water. He keeps looking left and right, left and right, trying to decide between hay and water.
Unable to decide, it eventually dies of hunger and thirst.
Don’t be a donkey.
Don’t let overthinking steal your precious time and energy – and keep you from reaching your full potential.
Pitfalls to Making Tough Career Decisions
Making tough career decisions is complex and involves a mix of head and heart.
In my work with thousands of Sensitive Strivers over the last decade, there are three decision-making traps I’ve seen come up the most.
1️. People-pleasing. Putting other people’s needs and opinions ahead of your own.
For instance, as soon as you have to make a big decision, do you poll other people for their input? You’re teaching yourself that others’ views are more important than your own.
2️. Perfectionism. This can manifest as a focus on finding the best, most optimal choice and beating yourself up for any tiny mistake.
As a result, you’re more prone to analysis paralysis and more likely to compare yourself to others.
3️. Procrastination. You’re trying to make a decision, but you just don’t have enough information, so you stall.
But what I see happen even more often is having too much information. You think more informational interviews or self-reflection exercises will help, but they only leave you confused.
So what do you do? How do you sidestep these traps?
My brand new Linkedin Learning course, Making Tough Career Decisions, can help.
You’ll discover tips and strategies to navigate these turning points with greater clarity and confidence about your future.
I poured my heart into creating an insightful, practical course, packed with helpful strategies to help you navigate tough career choices with confidence and clarity.
You’ll discover how to:
- Avoid common pitfalls like perfectionism and procrastination
- Unhook from difficult emotions to make the best choice possible
- Navigate fears about making the wrong decisions or feeling overwhelmed
- Determine whether it’s time to leave your job or pursue a new path
Tough Career Decisions are an Opportunity
This goes out to every Sensitive Striver who:
- Overanalyzes and overthinks their options to the point of analysis paralysis
- Struggles to follow their gut because of fear of failure and a strong desire to please others
- Questions whether they’re even qualified to go after their dreams
If that sounds like you, then here’s what you need to know:
- The greatest achievements often emerge from moments of uncertainty when we dare to trust ourselves.
- Doubt and indecision should never hold you back from making career decisions that align with your true potential.
- Your dreams are worth fighting for, even if fear and uncertainty threaten to cloud your vision.
- You have the talent, the skills, and the resilience to overcome any obstacle that comes your way.
- Sometimes difficult decisions can be stepping stones to something extraordinary.
Sneak Peek into the Course
Chapter 1: Get in the Right Mindset
Discover how to transform challenging career choices into valuable opportunities for growth. Uncover the pitfalls that can cloud your judgment and steer you off track, and equip yourself with the tools to navigate them successfully.
Chapter 2: Make a Confident Choice
Master the art of asking impactful questions that illuminate your options and shed light on the best path forward. Develop your intuitive intelligence to guide you towards the right career path. Leverage the support and guidance of your professional network.
Chapter 3: Commit to the Choice You’ve Made
Overcome the fear of making the wrong decision. Gain strategies to manage uncertainty and overwhelm and make bold choices to embrace the exciting possibilities that lie ahead.
Chapter 4: Navigate Specific Scenarios
Should you take that promotion? Leave your job? Find a new career path? You’ll be armed with tools and strategies to make big decisions with a clear head and conviction.
I’m so excited to share this course with you and I can’t wait to help you navigate your next career decision with success and strength.
Get started on the course now for free with LinkedIn Premium, or sign up for just $24.99.